Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What it means to be an American.

I don't know who authored this, but I consider it inspired.

I DO NOT CHOOSE TO BE A COMMON MAN

It is my right to be uncommon...if I can - I seek opportunity... not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. - I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. - I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my digity for a handout. I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself; enjoy the benefits of my creations and to face the world boldly and say, this I have done. - All this is what it means to be an American.

No comments: